Sunday, August 23, 2009

Rockies grab Jason Giambi

An excited reader sent me a text about this while I was in church today, but in case you haven’t heard, the Colorado Rockies agreed to terms with first baseman Jason Giambi. Giambi had hit .193/.332/.364 for the Oakland A’s this year.

This friend was excited to have the lefty Giambi as a pinch-hitter against right-handed relievers, but Giambi’s hitting even worse against righties (.186/.335/.306) this year than lefties (.209/.327./.488). For his career, of course, he’s better against right-handers.

I’m largely ambivalent about the move. That said, Giambi isn’t the most likeable guy and I’m not thrilled about adding even an apologetic performance-enhancing drug user in the middle of a strech run when the Rockies could use all available good karma.

3 comments:

blaine said...

I was the excited texter (is that a word?) and I'm still excited for the move. Giambi will start off with the Sky Sox and move up to join the club when the rosters expand in September.

I know you keep pointing out the .193 BA, Mike, but he does have a .332 OBP right? The Rockies are getting him for almost nothing, so it's not like they are even taking a risk. If he even gets one big hit that helps the Rockies win a game down the stretch then it was worth it. I'm more excited about the fact that Rockies' management is actively trying to win instead of passively hoping their "youth-movement" works out for them.

Mike said...

.332 ain't special, especially when we're talking about big hits. I don't think it's a big risk, either, but I'm amazed we don't already have a pinch-hitter batting more than .193 on the roster.

John said...

Someone was going to gamble on Giambi in the hope that he has a few big hits left. It might as well be us. This move doesn't excite me; at worst he fizzles out in the minors, and at best he gives us a few good hits down the stretch. Given that he is off the juice, I am betting it will be the former.