Thursday, December 16, 2010

Screw Carmelo

If Carmelo Anthony wants out so badly, let’s make him stay.

I used to think the Nuggets should keep Carmelo for the whole year since having Carmelo gives us our best shot at a championship for the foreseeable future. (Not that it’s an especially good shot.) But now? Let’s just keep him out of pure vengeance.

Recent rumors suggested Carmelo would only sign his extension with the Nuggets if they trade him to New York. Here’s how it works: in the NBA, a player’s current team can offer a guy more money than any other team. This is intended to give teams a fighting chance in free agency to hold on to their best players. But if Carmelo wants out of Denver so badly, let him go! I can’t see a single reason for the Nuggets to give him the max deal if he’s not going to play here.

Well, there is one reason, and that’s if we can trade Carmelo for something truly worthwhile. That’s unlikely. We could probably get some projects, or maybe one good player and some stiffs, for Carmelo, which isn’t close to fair. Neither trade possibility is inherently more favorable than just getting the salary cap space, and neither gives the team the sweet satisfaction of watching the door smack Anthony on his way out.

Some would say the team is better off without Carmelo anyway, as we haven’t won anything with him (mostly true) and he’ll never win a championship anyway (unknowable). I agree that Anthony is unlikely to be the cornerstone of a dynasty, but could he win a ring? You bet. History has many examples of swingman scorers who led a team to a title: Rick Barry, Dwyane Wade, and Paul Pierce come to mind. He’d probably need a higher caliber of teammate than, say, a young Shaq required to bring home a ring, but he could do it.

Anthony’s denied the report that he would accept a trade only to New York (though I still think he ends up with the Knicks), but the principle stands. He’s not a free agent, so he doesn’t get to pick his team, and that’s that.

Unless the Nuggets are truly blown away by a trade offer, I say let him walk. Let him play in New York for less money. It won’t crush the franchise the way the Mutombo departure did. Simply put, there’s no way the team’s braintrust is as dumb as it was in the mid-90s. Mutombo was just one in an epic list of mistakes back then. If Carmelo leaves, we’ll survive, and he’ll just have to film more ads to make ends meet.

Hey, I’ll miss the guy. But if he doesn’t want to play for the Nuggets any longer, let’s not do him any favors.

6 comments:

blaine said...

I've been waiting for 6 months for this post...

I've finally accepted that Carmelo Anthony will not be a Nugget for long. I was holding out hope despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise. I've watched most of the Nuggets' games this year and I've noticed that with Lawson, Afflalo, and J.R. all playing much better this season that the Nuggets can be a pretty good team (maybe even a playoff team) without Melo.

I think the Nuggets' would be better off making some kind of trade during the season for two reasons. One, because then we at least get something in return. I want the Nuggets to make a trade with the Nets, not because of Favors, but to get some good draft picks and then Melo will have to play the rest of the season with one of the worst teams in the league (would that satisfy your vengeful appetite Mike?).

The other reason to make a trade would be to start to develop some cohesion on a team that for 6-7 years has been required to get Melo 25+ shots a night. Certainly without Melo demanding the ball every other possession it will be a lot easier to get to the 20+ assist totals Karl is always harping about.

I love how Melo is suddenly the leading rebounder for the Nuggets this season...at least we now know he CAN rebound if he needs to (even if for his own selfish reasons).

I certainly won't miss all of Melo's whining and technical fouls that he accrues on a nightly basis. Still, it has been fun to have a player of his caliber on our team but I will be rooting hard against the Knicks come next season!

John said...

I hate to see Melo's talent go - but his departure has been a long time coming.

I would not completely close the door on a trade, because we may get some value in return, which is always better than nothing. Even the Cavaliers did a sign-and-trade with LeBron after "The Decision," which has to be history's most shameful example of dissing a franchise. I would love to see us pick up a tough insider defender/rebounder if we can get one, although picks also would be nice.

Mike said...

My point's just that getting something isn't good enough, and I sort of ignored the prospect of getting good draft picks, which is our best bet. When I heard rumors about guys like Joakim Noah and Luol Deng, I was disheartened; even though Deng can play, I'd rather pick a guy from scratch who fits our system: let's get someone we want, rather than someone. I think that with the limits of time and money "something" is not always better than nothing. I hated watching us waste time waiting for the Tskitishvilis of the world to develop. I'm frustrated by the prospect of picking up another team's junk, though perhaps I am overly pessimistic.

I like your Nets idea because yes, sticking him on a bad team is great, but they won't want him without the extension already signed.

Mike said...

John, you're right about the Cavs, and I was surprised when they did it considering how bitter the owner seemed about LeBron.

I don't know, just looking at Noah's numbers I guess he's not bad, too, I just can't stand the guy.

Garrett Holtz said...

I stumbled upon this blog and scrolled down and noticed this article. It's funny looking back on something like this months later. At that time I felt that the Nuggets wouldn't get anything of worth in a Melo trade. I was wrong, and it appears I wasn't the only one. The Nuggets got pretty much the best haul possible in the deal, and actually played better without Melo for the rest of the regular season. In retrospect, dealing with the Nets only amped up what the Knicks were willing to offer us, including Timofey Mozgov in the deal, who could start next season for Denver. All said and done, the Nuggets built for their future with this trade, and now Ty Lawson and Danilo Gallinari can be the young cornerstones of the franshise. Interested in more Nuggets' articles. Check out:
nuggetsfandom.blogspot.com

Garrett Holtz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.