Monday, June 28, 2010

Elway turns 50!

Today is John Elway’s 50th birthday. (Thanks to Adam Schefter and my friend David for pointing this out.) In his honor, let’s look back on some of his greatest moments.

Elway capped his career with a second straight Super Bowl win and an MVP performance over the Atlanta Falcons.



Here’s a cool list of moments in video form. I love watching Elway immediately give T.D. props for Super Bowl XXXII.



We can’t discuss Elway without The Drive. (And Pat Bowlen was so much cooler in his fur coat days.)



I posted it a couple years ago, but Rick Reilly once did an exceptional profile on Elway that’s worth a read today.

Dexter Manley read this play like a book:



What the heck, another one from that Super Bowl loss:



How about when Elway started turning it around in his last AFC Championship Game, flipping the routes in a crazy wind?



Elway was and always will be my favorite athlete in any sport. The two Super Bowl wins that capped his career are the coolest sports story of my lifetime. The XXXII highlights still give me chills.



I would kill to watch that game again. Seriously, NFL, I got at least $100 with your name on it if you’ll put it on a DVD.

* * *

On a side note, given that I don’t watch sports anymore, I don’t plan to post anything on this blog for at least a month. Maybe more. We’ll see how excited I am when the NFL rolls around. I’ll still be on HPE occasionally, so just drop these blogs in Google Reader or something and don’t bother checking here. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

John said...

Happy Birthday to the Duke! It is crazy how many of my favorite childhood memories involve Elway - from the Drive, which took place on my birthday, to the Super Bowls to lazy Sunday afternoons watching him pull out a come-from-behind victory.

What will always stand out in my mind is the helicopter play in Super Bowl XXXII, the most inspiring play by the most inspiring player in the most inspiring performance in NFL history. I remember watching the replay, seeing the look in Elway's eyes, and announcing to the entire Super Bowl party: "Look at the look in Elway's eyes. He is going to win!"